Doon the Watter 1955-56
When the Clyde from Glasgow to the Tail of the Bank was still full of ships
Points of note
On departing from Bridge Wharf (beside KGV Bridge) – brief view of dredger and William Sloan’s vessels (traded to Bristol and London at Windmilcroft Quay (south) and Burns Laird and Coast Line vessels engaged on the various Glasgow – Ireland route berthed at the Broomielaw and Anderston Quay including Lairds Loch, Irish Coast and the Royal Scotsman or Royal Ulsterman
Vehicular Ferryboat No 4 at the Lancefield Quay terminal (bottom of Elliot Street) – relocated from Finnieston Quay when the Stobcross Crane was constructed (1931-32) Ferry still in the old Clyde Navigation Trust maroon livery
New ships berthed under the Stobcross (Finnieston) crane – funel-less awaiting engines
Fairfields yard (now BAE Govan) with the Canadian Pacific’s third liner to be named Empress of Britain fitting out in the basin
A near full KGV Dock – with one of the old CNT steam dredgers – Shieldhill or Cairndhu?
Chain ferries at Renfrew and Erskine
Stemer band with Braehead Power Station (where shopping centre now sits) in the background
Fitting out basin of the dredger building specialists Lobnitz & Co at Renfrew
John Browns and Singers at Clydebank – Singers factor was one of the largest in the world of any type – workforce of over 20,000 – own railway station and very famous clock tower.
Vessels in Dalmuir Basin with the base of the Benrather cantilever crane – first one on the Clyde and (unlike the 5 others on the river) a real ‘hammerhead crane. Built in 1905 for Beardmore’s by the short lived Glasgow Electric Hoist & Crane Company at their Nuneaton Street works in the Parkhead district of the city to a design by the German Benrather engineering company. Crane was demolished ca 1971
Introduction by Alex Norton
Bit different from today’s river viewed from Waverley