Paddle Steamer Preservation Society
A charitable company limited by guarantee not having a share capital
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the Thirty Fifth Annual General Meeting of the Paddle Steamer Preservation Society will be held on board P.S. Medway Queen , Gillingham Pier, Pier Approach Road, Gillingham, Kent, ME7 1RX at 1.30 p.m. on Saturday 22 October 2022 to transact the following business: –
- To receive the Reports of the Council of Management and Reporting Accountant and the Society’s Financial Statements for the year ended 31 December 2021. This item will include reports on P.S. Kingswear Castle, P.S. Waverley, P.S. Maid of the Loch, other paddlers and the Society’s Archive.
- To note that Martin Longhurst and Jon Jolliffe have been re-elected unopposed to the Council of Management.
- To appoint Messrs. Henderson & Co., as Auditors of the Company until the conclusion of the next Annual General Meeting and to authorise the Council of Management to determine their remuneration.
Please see the Explanatory Note below.
By Order of the Council
23 August 2022
8, Heugh Hall Row, Old Quarrington, Durham, DH6 5NW
A booklet containing this Notice, the Explanatory Notes and the Annual Report will be available at the Meeting. The annual report is available at the following address:
- An Open Forum will follow the formal business of the Meeting when members may also raise questions and points for discussion.
- Any member of the Society may appoint a proxy to attend and vote in his or her stead. A proxy need not be a member of the Society. Proxy forms must be lodged with the Secretary 48 hours before the meeting.
- To avoid the expense of reconvening the meeting if a quorum is not present, please consider appointing the Chairman of the Meeting as your proxy if you are unable to attend. A form may be downloaded here. Under our Articles of Association, the quorum for a General Meeting is 30 members present in person or by proxy.
- Thanks are due to the Medway Queen Preservation Society and the London and Home Counties Branch for making the arrangements for the meeting.
- Medway Queen will be open from 11.00 am for guided tours for the usual admission fee of £5. The Medway Queen Visitor Centre and shop will be open. Following the AGM and Open Forum, there will be a short interval, following which a presentation will be given by Pam and Mark Bathurst of the Medway Queen Preservation Society.
- Teas, coffees and biscuits will be available to purchase before the meeting and during the interval. Toilets are available ashore in the Medway Queen workshop. Lunch is available in the ASDA café or the Mast and Rigging pub, both a short walk away.
- There is a Premier Inn available a short walk away for those who require accommodation.
- Car parking will be available at the Medway Queen Visitor Centre and an overflow car park will be available.
- The nearest station is Gillingham, which is served on Saturdays by trains from London Victoria, London Bridge and St Pancras International. The station is a 20-25 minute walk from the Medway Queen.
EXPLANATORY NOTE – Appointment of Auditors
Agenda Item 3 concerns the appointment of auditors. Until now the Society has taken advantage of the option to appoint an Independent Examiner. However, during 2022 we have received professional advice that group accounts covering the Society and its subsidiaries, Waverley Steam Navigation Co Ltd (WSN) and Paddle Steamer Kingswear Castle Trust (PSKCT), should be prepared.
In order to implement this advice, the Society will adopt a new year-end date of 31 October, starting in 2022. In addition, company law requires a formal audit for groups of companies with our combined turnover and assets. Accordingly the Meeting is asked to appoint Henderson & Co as our auditors. This firm already conducts the audit of WSN, so is ideally placed to prepare the group accounts.
Minutes of PSPS Annual General Meetings are available for the following years: