Lake Windermere Trip – Saturday 19th May 2018
The PSPS Scottish Branch is once again arranging a joint spring excursion with the Coastal Cruising Association (CCA). This will take place on Saturday 19th May to visit Lake Windermere.
PSPS/CCA will offer return coach travel from Glasgow George Square (departing 8:45am, retuning approx 9pm) to Lake Windermere to sail for up to 6 hours on England’s longest lake. The coach will arrive at Ambleside to allow members to join the 12pm departure calling at Bowness and Lakeside. There are various sailing permutations possible so that members and friends can choose how to spend their time on the day.
The cost of the day excursion is only £35 and includes return coach travel from Glasgow to Lake Windemere and a ‘Freedom of the Lake’ pass which allows unlimited travel on all scheduled sailings. The coach will depart Ambleside at 6:30pm for the return to Glasgow.
Tickets are available now from Alistair Deayton by email at email@example.com or by post at 52 Polsons Crescent, Paisley, PA2 6AX. Cheques should be made payable to PSPS, and please enclose a stamped, self addressed envelope for reply. Spaces on the coach are limited and allocated on a first come first served basis.
The following timetable will be in operation on 19th May. There will also be the possibility of enjoying the Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway (although tickets for the railway are not included in the excursion price but can be purchased on the day).
There are three historic vessels operating on Lake Windermere: Tern, Teal and Swan.
M.V. Tern was built by Forrest & Son, Wyvenhoe, Essex in 1891, as a steam powered yacht. She was converted to diesel power 1956 and is 145ft in length with capacity for up to 350 passengers.
M.V. Teal was built in 1936 by Vickers of Barrow. The vessel was transported in sections by rail to Lakeside and assembled. Teal is 142ft long and 251 tonnes with capacity for over 500 passengers.
M.V. Swan is similar to Teal with an identical passenger capacity. She was built two years later in 1938 by Vickers of Barrow and again moved in sections by rail to be assembled.
Passenger facilities on board each of the three vessels include a licensed bar with refreshments, a centrally heated saloon, toilets and open deck spaces.