Clydebuilt ex Steam Yacht NAHLIN returns to service.
The former steam yacht NAHLIN, which was built at the John Brown shipyard in Clydebank in 1930, has recently returned to operational service. However, her original steam turbine prime movers have been removed and she is now powered by a diesel electric installation although she retains some form of steam-raising plant as she can be heard (and seen) exercising a fairly powerful steam whistle in the film of her, link below, passing Friedrichsort Lighthouse while running trials in the western Baltic Sea in April this year. (In fact she appears to have two steam whistles, rather like Waverley before her rebuild)
NAHLIN running trials on the Baltic, April 2010
The classic yacht was built for Lady Yule of Glasgow and in 1936 the yacht was chartered by King Edward VII for as cruise in the Adriatic Sea and down to Istanbul. The American divorcee Mrs Wallis Simpson was also aboard attracting media attention and a course of events that led to the abdication of the King.
In 1937 NAHLIN was sold to King Carol II of Romania to serve as his royal yacht but two years later, after he forsook his crown on the commencement of WWII the NAHLIN passed into the ownership of the Romanian Government. She had been renamed LUCEAFARUL (Evening Star) and in 1948 her name changed again to LIBERTATEA (Freedom). For 60 years she languished on the banks of the Danube until 1999 when she was purchased by British interests and her original name and port of registry (Glasgow) were restored to her. She spent some time in the Mersey before being towed to Germany in 2005. After 5 years the restoration is complete.
In the second link (below) the Red Duster can be seen flying proudly at her stern. The restored vessel looks absolutely stunning:
Classic Clyde-built yacht NAHLIN of Glasgow returns to operational service at Kiel Holtenau, 26th April 2010
Look forward to seeing her sail back up the Clyde some day