On Sunday 15th August Waverley made a rare and much anticipated call at Ardrishaig, 20 years after her last visit.
This was the third charter to Ardrishaig by the Scottish Branch of the Paddle Steamer Preservation Society, the previous two occurring in 1970 and 1975 (read more here).
An impressive array of fan boards displayed the evening before departure.|WEL
Waverley paddled outbound from Glasgow via the Kyles of Bute, returning to Greenock via Garroch Head and The Tan.|marinetraffic.com
Michael Girvan of Skyrise Aerial Media graciously provided the following spectacular five-minute video of Waverley’s arrival in to Ardrishaig.
In addition, Michael provided the following collection of images.
Dressed overall, Waverley sits alongside Ardrishaig Pier. It replaces the original 1873 timber steamer pier that was removed in the 1990s. The pier closed temporarily in 2017 following a partial collapse of the north wall, reopening the following year with an additional extension.|Michael Girvan / Skyrise Aerial Media
The breakwater on the left shelters the sea lock gates that mark the start of the nine-mile (14km) Crinan Canal. The canal was built between 1793 and 1801 with further improvements made in 1816 and again between 1930 and 1932. Queen Victoria’s traversal of the canal in 1847 resulted in it being promoted as part of the “Royal Route” between Glasgow and Oban.|Michael Girvan / Skyrise Aerial Media
Lock number 1 is the first of 15 locks on the canal. New sea locks were constructed at each end between 1930 and 1932 to allow the canal to be accessed at any state of the tide. Six swing bridges and one retractable bridge cross the canal.|Michael Girvan / Skyrise Aerial Media
Notice the two buses on the pier. West Coast Motors ran a free bus shuttle service from Lochgilphead using the 35-seat 1949 MacBrayne’s bus nearest the camera. A more modern bus from the West Coast Motors fleets sits alongside it. The rock armour was added during the repairs to the pier in 2018. At the same time the pier was extended by a further 50 feet (15m) to accommodate timber traffic.|Michael Girvan / Skyrise Aerial Media
A gull’s-eye view of Waverley.|Michael Girvan / Skyrise Aerial Media
Ardrishaig Point Lighthouse stands at the end of the southern breakwater.|Michael Girvan / Skyrise Aerial Media
A fine view of Ardrishaig basin and the first four locks.|Michael Girvan / Skyrise Aerial Media
The Crinan Canal meanders off in to the distance towards Lochgilphead at the head of Loch Gilp.|Michael Girvan / Skyrise Aerial Media
The Society is a company limited by guarantee (having no share capital), registered in England and Wales No. 2167853, and a charity registered in England and Wales (298328) and in Scotland (SC037603). Registered Office Mayfield, Hoe Lane, Abinger Hammer, Dorking, Surrey, RH5 6RS. The Society is governed by its Articles of Association which set out its objects which may be summarised as to preserve in operation paddle steamers, to educate the public in their historical significance and to preserve relics and other materials associated with paddle steamers.
Copyright 2022 Paddle Steamer Preservation Society except where noted.