Paddle Steamer Princess Victoria
The Paddle Steamer Princess Victoria was the first of four ships of the name to operate the “Short Sea Route” between Stranraer in Scotland and Larne in Northern Ireland.
All four ships were products of the Dumbarton based shipbuilders, William Denny & Brothers but the first one was the only paddle steamer.
She was launched on 28th January 1890 for the Portpatrick & Wigtownshire Joint Committee. She had a gross tonnage of 1096 and was powered by a 624 bhp compound engine.
She served on the Stranraer – Larne route for two decades before being scrapped at Blackwall on the Thames in October 1910.
After a gap of two years the second Princess Victoria, a turbine steamer, appeared on the route in 1912.
[signature name=”Stuart Cameron”]